2009-08-13

Self Validation.

Since I never did it in June, which would’ve really marked the center point to the year, I’ll do it now. It seems like this would be a better time to do it anyway.

Up this point, since January: Work had grinded down little by little until it came to a screeching stop. It’s been a couple months now, but I’ve gotten unemployment going and I apply for jobs everyday still. I also still try to get up at a time that would still be considered early for someone who doesn’t work. I don’t wanna get into the habit of sleeping in, just cuz it’ll make things harder to get used to once I start working again. I hate sleeping anyway.

I’ve put in as much as I can with London Metal Exchange. We’ve had ups and downs all year, but with me being unemployed, I don’t consider myself a part of the band. The practice schedule has also gone from playing big shows at the Marquee Theater, to playing once every other month at small bars. They’re in the studio right now, but I don’t care. They’re not making any drastic changes to the mix, and I have better things to do.

Since January, I’ve been cranking out musical ideas like crazy. I started going through unfinished riffs and charts I had written, and filled in the blanks. This has also brought me to practicing songs from http://www.myspace.com/dooeetnau with my old Reburn buddy Andrew. We went through staring at pages of hieroglyphics, to working on our stage setup and slamming through the songs as many times as we can before we tire out. We’re almost ready for phase 1!

In light of me being unemployed, and somewhat out of shape, I started working out again. First it started with the weights I got from the girl, then into skating, Dance Dance Revolution, situps, and now basketball. Originally, I started working out just to keep myself in shape enough to be able to jam with Andrew. But then I joined Labor Party’s tour.

I was offered to go on tour with Labor Party this summer because their drummer has some shit to tend to. Which I’m stoked on! I get to hit the road again, play in front of new people, and get some of my single bass chops back! Last night was the first night I had gotten through a night of practice without breaking a sweat.

Also, in a stretch to strengthen my brain, I've done random things to make me learn: I’ve switched my OS on my computer Linux, started playing Magic: The Gathering, I have notebooks laying around the house waiting to be filled with more random ideas for songs and charts, I downloaded a math game (like flash cards).

I’ve got to do as much as I can until I start working again. There’s never enough time in the day!

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you're being pretty productive! I feel like we're all getting to that age where we're starting to look at our lives for something to be proud of. I'm almost 16 and still don't have my degree- that's my area of improvement. So keep on keepin' on, because it sounds like you're on the right track.

    ReplyDelete